HELLO & WELCOME to a new challenge for the month of March at Our Creative Corner!! This is going to be a fun one!! This month, my very creative and ambitious teammate Candice, (you’ve got to check out her blog Tincan Handmade Craft Deli) has tasked us with doing something with that ‘Junk in our Trunks’!! Here’s what she’s talking about:
JUNK IN YOUR TRUNK
For the challenge this month, create something out of any kind of “junk” & refashion it into something useful and/or functional and/or beautiful! The interpretation of “junk” is up to you!! How FUN is that?! :)
Candice gives examples like-Hideously patterned china? Smash it and make a mosaic! Unused decorative/patterned papers? Rip’em, cut ‘em-Collage them! Skeins of Wool? Rusty bits & pieces–Create whatever you want to! The only rules are that your project MUST contain something that you consider junk, that you have reclaimed or recycled.
The sponsor for our March Junk in Your Trunk challenge is Crafty Individuals!! One randomly drawn participant will receive a surprise parcel of Crafty Individuals goodies, and of course the overall Junk in Your Trunk Winner is awarded Top Talent Honors and will be invited back to Our Creative Corner for a future Top Talent Spotlight! We also have Blog Badges awarded to our Top 3 favorites, too!! Lots of reasons to join in!!
OK, So here I go!! My “junk” is something that I’ve had my eye on to reclaim and beautify for a long time now!!
This ugly, junky, shaky, paint can/tarnish can/stain can holder!! It’s been splattered on, dripped on, stained on–just a yuck piece of utilitarian yuck!!
With some coats of paint (failed painting techniques!) and a custom sewn seat cover, this utilitarian piece of junk that it was, has been transformed into the nice stool it deserves to be!! And, it doesn’t rattle around any more and sits still!! Let me show you some of the successful, and not-so successful, things that I did to this stool! :)
I gave the stool a good sanding in preparation of the first layer of paint I’m going to apply.
I painted the legs a light yellow & the seat a darker sunflowery yellow color, with the full intentions of these colors peeking through the crackling technique I was going to apply. I’m leaving out the steps I took of, the stamping of random images onto tissue paper, that then got randomly adhered to the legs and seat of this stool, that I had the full intentions of said random images peeking through the crackling technique that I was going to apply next….
…Uh, Nope! No crackly paint technique happened here!! It’s more like a melty, smolten looking copper sludge!! But, this just so happens to be an area where the stamped image peeks through…kind of!! The ‘why & how’ I ended up with this melted looking top layer of copper paint, lies within the type of paint, the copper paint is. After I had adhered all of the stamped images onto the stool, I applied a thick layer of Elmer’s Glue over everything (I worked in sections), then brushed a layer of this hammered copper metallic paint over the wet glue. For crackle-you need to use ACRYLIC paint! This copper paint IS NOT ACRYLIC, but a paint that I had on hand, for around the house/metal patio furniture painting.
BUT–making the best of a still decent transformation, I ran some pieces of foil tape through random embossing folders and stuck onto the cross-sections of the legs and to the tops and bottoms of the legs. I then used Black Soot Distress Paint, that I dabbed onto a paper towel, then rubbed over the surface of everything!! That ended up being a pretty cool effect. It toned down the bright yellow that does peek through the copper layer.
Now I’m going to move a little faster with the seat cover–
I started by making a paper pattern of the seat. I cut out strips of Eclectic Elements fabrics and randomly and roughly stitched together. I pinned the pattern to the backside of the seat cover top, and machine stitched around the perimeter. When finished stitching, I ripped the paper pattern away.
I added a long strip of EE fabrics that I had sewn together, to the bottom of the seat cover. See, I’m so not a sewer, I don’t even know the technical sewing term for that whole extra piece of fabric that I attached, that hides the cotton twill pull tie that will cinch this cover tightly over the seat-LOL! :)
I’m not quite through with the seat cover yet–I’m going to make some flowers for it! I roughly cut out different size circles of EE fabrics and sewed together. Then, I roughed up the edges with my craft scratcher, then sewed onto the top of the seat cover.
Even with the failed paint technique, this doesn’t look half bad!! I’m pretty happy with how this whole transformation came out–Maybe the happiest with the seat cover! :)
I know it’s an ambitious challenge, but that’s what it’s all about–Moving outside your comfort zone and just going for it!! All of my Our Creative Corner Teammates have performed some amazing transformations to their ‘Junk” for inspiration–Let’s see what kind of Junk is In Your Trunk and join in on the challenge! We’d love to have you and see your junk metamorphosis!! The challenge closes Saturday, March 28th, 11:55pm (GMT).
Thanks so much for joining me with this 2nd posting of the day!! It’s a new month & new creative challenges await you!
Until next time–Stay Artsy Fartsy!!
SUPPLIES IS USED:
- Wood Stool; Eclectic Elements Fabrics (Tim Holtz/Coats); Batting; Tissue Paper; Foil Tape (Home Depot)
- Archival Ink; Elmers All Purpose Glue; Hammered Copper Metallic Paint; Two Shades of Yellow Paint
- Sand Paper; Paint Brushes; Sewing Machine (Kenmore)
- Eclectic Elements Fabrics (Tim Holtz/Coats); Cotton Batting; Distress Paint (Tim Holtz/Ranger)
- Embossing Folders (a mix of Tim Holtz/Sizzix & Provo Craft); Big Shot Machine (Sizzix)
- Tissue Paper; Archival Ink (Ranger); Stamp Images (a mix of Tim Holtz/Stampers Anonymous)