Ho Ho Ho!! Happy Tuesday!! Thank you for coming back and visiting with me!! I have to say how very thankful I am to all of you who are taking some time out to stop by and browse my blog–especially during this mostly hectic time of year (mostly)….(hee, little joke there)…
I hope you continue to enjoy my offerings of creativity and continue to join me on my journey of artistic self-discovery! Who knows what 2014 will have in store for us!!
Anyhoo….I’m still working on Christmas cards in my craft dungeon, but I thought I’d share something not related to the season, to take a bit of a break from all of the HO HO HO-ing…
My 1st Altered Book–A gift to my Parents
I wanted to make my Mom & Dad something really special and unique for their 55th Wedding Anniversary and with all of the new techniques I’ve learned this year and all of the wonderful inspiration I’ve gathered from all over the world, I created this altered book in honor of my Folks!
Not only just an altered book, but a one-of-a-kind display of a cherished family photo (one of the last photo’s remaining) of my Mom & Dad’s Wedding day. I took the idea and off I went and this is how it turned out….
I had a lot of fun with this–I used everything but the kitchen sink…Oh wait, I did use the kitchen sink when I was soaking the book in diluted coffee to stain the pages!!
White Gesso, Distress Crackle Paint, Cheese Cloth, Tulle–Chipboard, Card Stocks, Home-Made Stencils and Dylusions Spray Inks….
Corrugated Cardboard, Studio Acrylic Paint, Distress and Archival Inks and the bestest friend a crafter can have…Multi-Medium.
And where would I be without my new crafting BFF–Multi-Medium!! I love multi-medium!! It’s basically the glue that is holding this entire project together…even keeping the pages of the book together, yet looking like nothing is holding the pages together!
I have several stashes of where I keep all of my spare die cut pieces that don’t end up being used for one reason or another–And coming across these tattered floral pieces was a score!! I layered each petal with tulle and randomly brushed some white gesso to bring out the texture of the tulle and corrugated cardboard.
The shadow box frame was made from chipboard (I keep my cereal boxes for crafting) and layered with musical background paper that I downloaded for free from Free Vintage Digital Stamps. If you don’t have the “just-right” decorative papers, you’ll be able to find exactly what you’re looking for online–For FREE!!! There are lots of crafty blogs out there that feature free image downloads and that’s a good thing for rural crafters like me!
I even had one of their original wedding invitations! I copied it onto white vellum and cut it into strips to incorporate in the book and frame.
Being my first altered book, and kind of using my Mom & Dad’s 55th Anniversary as my inspiration/experiment, I have to say that this came out much better than what I was expecting! They just loved it and I loved being able to hand deliver it to them 700 miles away!!
Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to visit! I really do appreciate the hustle and bustle of the season and even finding the slightest piece of quiet can be hard–Let alone browsing on blogs that have nothing to do with (holiday) shopping!! THANK YOU!!
So, until next time–Stay Artsy Fartsy!! XOXO-Shari
Supplies I Used (based entirely on my memory as I did not make my list of goodies used before I gave to my parents…):
- Book; Chipboard (cereal box); Card stocks in Cream, Black & Manila; White Vellum, Corrugated Cardboard, Digital Decorative Paper from Free Vintage Digital Stamps
- Coffee; Tim Holtz Distress Inks-Vintage Photo, Tea Dye & Walnut Stain; Archival Inks in Jet Black & Sepia, White Gesso, TH Distress Crackle Paint-Antique Bronze, Dylusions Ink Sprays-Lemon Zest & Bubblegum Pink; Claudine Hellmuth Studio Black Acrylic Paint; Adirondack Alcohol Inks in Lettuce & Cranberry; Studio 2 Alcohol Ink in Process Yellow
- Metal Keys, Self Adhesive Rhinestones & Pearls, Tulle, Claudine Hellmuth Studio Multi-Medium
- Paint Brushes, Ink Blending Tools, Heat Tool
- Sizzix Big Shot Machine; SU/Sizzix Bigz Top Note Die, TH/Sizzix Tattered Florals Die, SU/Sizzlits Heart #6
- Cricut Personal Trimmer & Opposites Attract, Home Accents & Beyond Birthday’s Cartridges
- Swirly stamp image from the Chandeliers set from Inkadinkado