Hello and Happy Weekend!! I finally have a tag finished to submit to Tim Holtz’s 12 Tags of 2013 Challenge for August. When you have the time, visit Tim’s blog (just do that often anyways) and look at the tags he created and inspired for the month. Totally Awesome! Here’s my tag for August…
Supplies I Used:
- #8 Manilla Tag, Vellum
- All Images from the Wicked Plate from Oxford Impressions/AustenGallery
- Distress Inks, Markers & Paint, Archival Ink, Adirondack Alcohol Ink, Ink Blending Tool, Distresser, Multi-Medium, Heat Tool, Craft Sheet, Sticky Notes (as my masks)
- #26 Gauge Wire, Glass Beads, Seam Binding, TH/Idea-ology Facet
I did want to stay true to Tim’s inspiration and designs he created this month for the August edition of the 12 Tags of 2013, but after struggling with a few, not really travel or vacation type designs, I asked myself–”What -other- types of travel stamps do I have?” A witch on a broom looks like a form of travel to me! I’ll take it!!
My tag background is Dusty Concord DI that I tapped onto my craft sheet, spritzed with water then drug my tag through. I tipped my tag back and forth as I was drying it with my heat tool to get some heavy color blots. I used Jet Black Archival Ink to stamp the witch first–she got masked; I colored the palmistry hand with Dusty Concord & Black Soot DM’s and stamped–that got masked, then I used the Jet Black Archival again and stamped the moon–that got masked.
The quote “Something wicked this way comes” was colored with DM’s in Barn Door & Black Soot–that got stamped around the perimeter and masked, and the swirly flourishes were also colored with Barn Door & Dusty Concord DM’s. The flourishes were the last images stamped and because I had everything else masked, the flourishes almost look like a wallpaper that everything else is layered on top of…COOL!! I kept all of the masks in place and inked the edges with Vintage Photo DI and my ink blending tool. I removed all of the masks and then distressed all of the edges and re-inked again, this time with Walnut Stain DI. OH–and I not only masked my stamped images on my tag, but I also masked my stamps…
…In this case, I needed to have the word “wicked” for my facet in permanent ink, and I don’t have Archival Markers (are there Archival Markers?)…so, I masked my quote stamp, exposing only the word wicked, then I pressed my Archival stamp pad onto my masked stamp. Only the word “wicked” was inked. I removed my masks and then stamped it onto a scrap piece of white vellum. It was dried with my heat tool, then I glued the facet with multi-medium on top of the word. I fussy cut the piece of vellum to size then threaded a piece of #26 gauge wire through the hole in the facet, added a few glass beads, then glued in place with a little dab of multi-medium.
Masking really is a great technique–look at how many layers appear to be there….but all on one simple tag! COOL! This month’s techniques that Tim challenged us with were good ones! There’s still time to create your tag for August…..
Have a GREAT rest of your weekend and Thank You for stopping by!! Now, go out and enjoy the rest of your Summer!!