Hey Everyone and Happy Thursday! Today, I’m sharing a card that I made for the Drunken Stampers Challenge #139 – Place: Campsite. I was multi-tasking when I made this card…working on the pieces to assemble, needing to let things dry–then being able to start another project or experiment, let that dry–come back to Happy Camping…It’s fun like that!
Supplies I Used:
- Natural Card Stock, Manilla Stock, Muslin, Toothpicks, Baker’s Twine
- Distress Inks & Markers, Art Air Tool, Water Brush, Ink Blending Tool, Distresser, Multi-Medium, Double-Back Tape, Sewing Machine, Paint Brush
- Wood-grain Stamp/Stampin’ Up & Alphabet Stamps/Mfg Unknown
- Round & Star Eyelets, Self-Adhesive Rhinestones, Glass Beads, Moonstone
With this week’s challenge, I struggled for inspiration. The challenge is for a Place: Campsite, but, the hostesses are OK with us using wood grain & campsite images as well as wood elements. Sure, I have a wood grain stamp but, I really wanted to embrace the challenge in its simplest form–create a campsite somehow. Here’s what I used for my inspiration…
This is a sign that’s hanging in our mudroom and I walk past this probably 12+ times a day. On Monday, when I still couldn’t think of a design, I saw it….THE SIGN!!! I took it to my dungeon and came up with my campsite creation!
The card base is natural stock and my top layer is manilla stock. I made my background using Broken China, Mowed Lawn and Vintage Photo DI’s blended together with my ink blending tool. I spritzed with water, gave a heat dry and distressed the edges and inked with Walnut Stain DI.
The tent is a piece of muslin that I ran through my sewing machine to stitch a 1/4″ seam, then I pressed it in shape with a steam iron.
The starry night is made of silver star eyelets and rhinestones — Twinkle Twinkle! I used multi-medium to glue each rhinestone to the star eyelets and used small self-adhesive rhinestones as the smaller stars in this night sky. I then painted a thin layer of multi-medium to the backside of my tent and positioned in place and pressed down with some weighted items. I set that aside to assemble the FIRE!
I made my fire with round toothpicks colored with Vintage Photo & Walnut Stain DI’s and an ink blending tool. I cut the picks into miscellaneous sizes and adhered onto a scrap piece of dark stock with multi-medium in a layered manner to achieve the perfectly built campfire. The warm coals are glass beads and the smoke is cotton all glued in place with multi-medium (which has become my newest BFF!).
I kept my usage of wood elements kind of simple and used round toothpicks as my tent stakes, too! Before I had glued the tent down, I inserted the two eyelets into place and ran a long piece of Baker’s Twine through and glued in place so the twine wouldn’t slip out of the eyelets when I was tying to the stakes. My stakes are set into small holes, which are glued into place with, you got it–my BFF, Multi-Medium and the little rocks are pieces of moonstone.
When I first assembled this card, I showed it to my husband and he said that the tent was too clean–it needed to look old and stained, as a real canvas tent would. So, I used Tea Dye and the ink blending tool and lightly rubbed onto the fabric–that wasn’t dirty enough. I painted the inside flap with Vintage Photo DM and my water brush to get a shadow effect–still something missing—water stains! I used my air art tool and the Tea Dye DM to achieve the water stains. Just right! A dirty old canvas tent!
And that’s it! Camp is set up, the fire is stoked–Where are the SMORES!! This card ended up being really easy to put together once I had my inspiration and go figure, the inspiration was in the form of a little piece of home decor I already had! You never know what may inspire–You just have to keep your eyes open to see!
Thank You for stopping by and stay Artsy Fartsy!! XOXO-S