Happy Tuesday Everyone! Hope your week is off to an Artsy Fartsy kind of start — Mine sure has been! I’ve been (hard at work) creating cards for a couple of custom orders I’ve received–FUN!! And I’ve been trying to work in a design or two for some of my fav challenge blogs…those keep getting pushed to the side, unfortunately!
So today, I’m going back in time to share this shadowbox I made for the UG&CF Market I participated in this Summer, designed with one of my favorite Halloweeny themed stamp plates, Dr. Coffin’s Apothecary by Oxford Impressions/Austen Gallery. Time to get down and get Spooky!!
Supplies I Used:
- Wooden Frame/Pre-painted Black
- Stamps: Dr. Coffin’s Apothecary & Wicked (Oxford Impressions/Austen Gallery)
- Distress Crackle Paints, Distress Inks, Paint & Markers, Archival Ink, Staz-On Ink, Clear Embossing Powder, Clear Top Coat-Spray
- Manilla Stock, Black, White & Ivory Stock, Decorative Stock, White Vellum, Tulle
- Self-Adhesive Rhinestones, Decorative Brad, Dimensional Magic, Double Back Tape, Distresser, Tissue Tape, Ink Blending Too, Heat Tool, 3D Dots
This project took me about 3 days to complete and assemble but, most of it was drying time and getting everything positioned just so! I really wanted to utilize all of the stamps in the plate and use the images to their best advantages!
I’m kind of a
cheap frugal type designer, too! The frame I used is from a needle-point project that I never did get to finish, because my puppy (at the time) Ralph, decided to eat my needle-point! Lucky for him, I stored the needle somewhere else-WHEW! So, I was left with a lonely black frame that needed a new project.
The frame was already painted black so, I added Distress Crackle Paints in Clear Rock Candy & Brushed Pewter to add some texture. While the frame was left to dry, I worked on the insides of the box–lots of fussy cutting!!
Dr. Coffin and the bottles are vellum, stamped with Archival Ink in Jet Black. I then adhered Dr. Coffin’s image on a scrap piece of black stock, distressed his image a little with Walnut Stain DI and fussy cut him just so! His fancy button is a brad from Stampin’ Up.
The skeleton in Dr. Coffin’s Apothecary was stamped onto ivory stock with Jet Black Archival, inked with Tea Dye DI and fussy cut–I knew I wanted this guy to be looking over the Dr.s’ shoulder! The label was stamped onto manilla stock with Jet Black Archival and inked with Dusty Concord, Tea Dye & Vintage Photo DI’s.
The bottles were fun to make! The bottles were stamped on white vellum with Jet Black Archival and inked on the back sides! The specimen bottle of bones was inked with Vintage Photo and spritzed with water– the word specimen on the front side was stamped with Barn Door DI. The bones in the bottle are from the Wicked plate–they were just the right size!
Dr. Coffin’s shop cat was stamped with Black Staz-On, onto white stock and sprinkled generously with clear embossing powder & heat embossed. I fussy cut kitty out and gave him some red rhinestone eyes–the kind of eyes that seem to follow you wherever you go….
And don’t forget those small images that can be used! I heat embossed this skeleton head and made into my button for my colored tulle–Which I colored myself! I started with white tulle and inked with Dusty Concord and Black Soot DI’s and my ink blending tools.
Dr. Coffin’s Apothecary Shop–Come in and Browse! As long as you like cats, you’ll be welcome! And please, don’t mind the skeleton–he just hangs around sometimes….
Have an Artsy Fartsy day and Thanks for Stopping by!! XOXO-Shari