I was experimenting with the backgrounds on these ATCs, too. I didn’t take any pictures while I was experimenting (I forget to do that sometimes) but I can show you what they looked like before I started stamping and layering.
I experimented with using rubber cement as a resist. I got this idea from my fellow AO Design Teammie, Tracy (Thanks, Tracy!), because she uses something called ‘drawing gum’ in the creations of her wonderful backgrounds. I don’t have ‘drawing gum’ (yet) but I wondered if rubber cement would work the same?
Yes, it worked, but it’s kind of goopy and thick, so it didn’t brush out all that smoothly. So, after brushing rubber cement randomly over the surfaces, I let air dry, then I sprinkled Lemon Yellow & Pthalo Green Color Bursts over the surface, spritzed with water and watched the CBs do their thing. I heat set the CBs, then rubbed the rubber cement off with my finger. I attached the ATCs together with tissue tape then gave the tape a rubbing of white wash using Picket Fence DP and my finger.
I stamped the Kudzu People onto mixed-media paper with Jet Black Archival.
I water colored each image with Distress Markers and my water brush and heat set. I then rubbed the surfaces with Tea Dye DI and fussy cut with my finger knife.
I stamped the tree image from the AO Home set onto the backgrounds with Jet Black Archival–it’s a second generation stamping because I wanted the trees to be a little shadowy. I gave the surface a splattering of Bamboo Heaven Twinkling H2Os and heat set. Then I adhered Kudzu Lady to the surface and outlined her with Black Soot DI and my water brush. I heat set that outline and outlined again with white gel pen.
Each panel, just like this Kudzu Kid’s, received an altered Numbered Brad. I rubbed Picket Fence DP over the brads, let air dry a bit, then rubbed my finger over the surface to remove the extra paint.
I stamped all of the Kudzu quotes onto mixed-media paper with Jet Black Archival, coated with matte Decou-page and when dry, fussy cut into word bands. I edged each band with Jet Black Archival and adhered onto each ATC panel.
When the word bands were secure, I outlined them with Black Soot DI and my water brush, then outlined again with my white gel pen.
I wanted to give these ATCs a stitched border, but they were too thick to run through my sewing machine, so to finish the panels, I gave them an edging of Black Soot DI and heat set. That’ll do just fine!
Thanks so much for coming by today!! Until next time–Stay Artsy Fartsy!!
SUPPLIES I USED:
- Stamps: Kudzu Kafe & Home (Artistic Outpost)
- 2 ATCs (made w/Manila Stock & Chipboard); Mixed-Media Paper (Strathmore)
- Archival Ink (Ranger); Distress Markers, Paint & Ink (Tim Holtz/Ranger); Twinkling H2Os (Splash of Color)
- Tissue Tape & Numbered Brads (Tim Holtz/Idea-ology)
- Matte Decou-Page (DecoArt); Rubber Cement (Elmer’s); Finger Knife (Fiskars); Heat Tool; Round WC Paint Brush; Water Brush