Happy Saturday!! I’m here today with the tag that I made for the Frilly & Funkie challenge-A Haunting Halloween. It’s week two of the challenge, which closes on Oct 7th–Hey, I’m way ahead with getting this challenge make in, with several days to spare, even!
I’ve got all kinds of haunting elements to share, so–Step into the office, the Dr. will be right with you…
I’ll make your visit as painless as possible–Now sit back, relax and let’s take a look at what we have here. 🙂
I’m using 2 #8 kraft tags that I had previously paint marbled using left over Distress Paints in Black Soot, Mustard Seed and I think Pumice Stone. I don’t remember which project I had this leftover DP from, but I never let it go to waste and I was able to sop up two tags worth of color (with the help of some spritz of water)…
…this is the second tag, which I plan on using for the backside of this project. You know how I am about my backsides!! 😉
I tapped each mini DI over the reverse side of the stencil and then spritzed with water.
I pressed the stencil onto my kraft tag and lightly blotted off any excess ink with a paper towel. I lifted the stencil and dried with my heat tool. I love how the words are so ghostly.
I used the Shattered LS with Dylusions White Linen IS and sprayed the stencil, laid it over my tag and pressed down with a paper towel. I lifted the stencil and heat set and the base of this tag is ready for major haunting!
Oh, yeah–When I was spraying the stencil, I had that black piece of cardstock underneath–I didn’t want all of that wonderful spray ink to go to waste, and now I have another piece of stenciled stock ready for a new project!
From here on out, I was kind of all over the place when creating the stamped embellishments for this tag. I had a couple of “failures”, which were easily remedied, but not all recorded with pictures…it was just one of those days 😉
Take these bottles for instance….OH–I’m using images from Dr. Coffin’s Apothecary plate from Oxford Impressions for my tag. These bottles got stamped with Sepia & Jet Black Archival inks onto WV’s modeling film. The sepia ink rubbed right off–Failure one fixed with re-stamping the image with Jet Black Archival. I fussy cut these out, carefully shaped with my embossing heat gun, then colored with Bottle & Sand Adirondack alcohol inks and layered with Clear Rock Candy DCP–all of which did not get photographed-sorry 😦
Failure 2 coming up, but only because I didn’t realize how concentrated the alcohol ink colors would become, once the shrink plastic images shrunk down to size. But, not too much of a boo-boo…(I’ll still use this darker mushroom on something else in the future)…
…and fixed with stamping the mushroom image again, but with Cotton White Staz-On ink and I colored the plastic with one color of Adirondack alcohol ink in Sand.
Here’s a trick that I learned from Marjie Kemper–put your shrink plastic piece inside of a circle of tape, apply heat, and there’s your little shrink plastic piece nicely contained!
Here are a few more stamped images for my tag–I stamped Dr. Coffin and the cat with Jet Black Archival ink and the labels are a watercolor technique where I used Distress Markers-in Barn Door, Black Soot & Chipped Sapphire, to color the label stamp with, spritzed the stamp with water, then stamped 3 times. All of these got fussy cut for assembly…
I added a couple of more stamped and stenciled layers onto my tag and strategically applied some Apothecary Remnant Rub-Ons here and there.
Look at this itty-bitty little poppy. I just had to get a shot of this little goodie–it’s the contents of one of the bottles!
I added rub-ons to the bottle & gave it a Vintage Photo Distress Powder cork. I glued the brown bottle in place with glossy multi-medium and there’s one of the Doc’s mysterious bottles.
Just had to get a close up of my label. I completely balled it up, gave it a tiny spritz of water and let sit for a spell. When I un-wadded it, I did give it a little bit of heat drying, then I inked it with Vintage Photo DI and my ink blending tool. OH–see that cute little mushroom? That’s its placement for the second bottle.
It’s barely visible (the darker mushroom completely disappeared under the bottle), but you can kind of see that there’s a little something something in Doc’s bottle of Magic Potion!
To add a little more spookiness to this Dr.’s visit is this shrink plastic raven (left-over from a project last month) nested securely in the ripped strip of black tulle that I topped the tag with.
And with that, time is up–The Dr. has another appointment presently–he’s due over at Frilly & Funkie, but you can come, too! Join in on the challenge and have the chance to win a $25 gift certificate at The Funkie Junkie Boutique! Sounds like just what the Dr. ordered! 🙂
Thanks for taking this time out of your Saturday to visit with me and the Dr.! Have a healthy & haunting rest of your weekend and until next time–Stay Artsy Fartsy!!
SUPPLIES I USED:
- Stamps: Dr. Coffin’s Apothecary (Oxford Impressions) & Raven image from Haunted (Oxford Impressions)
- Surfaces: #8 Kraft Tags (Ranger); Shrink Plastic (Ranger); Modeling Film (Wendy Vecchi); Kraft Card Stock (Papertrey Ink)
- Distress Paints, Inks & Markers (Tim Holtz/Ranger); Archival Ink (Ranger); Staz-On Ink (Tsukineko); Dylusions Ink Spray (Ranger)
- Apothecary Remnant Rub-Ons & Label Letters (Tim Holtz/Idea-ology)
- Sewing Machine (Kenmore); Double-Back Tape (3M); Multi-Medium (Claudine Hellmuth/Ranger); Paper Distresser (Tim Holtz/Tonic Studios); Embossing Heat Tool; Heat Tool; Paper Towels; Foam Squares