Happy Tuesday!! WOW! Is this the last day of September already? These last 30 days seemed to have flown by–WOW! I hate to say it, but-Winter could be right around the corner! It’s not unheard of to have snow on the sidewalks for Halloween in my neck of the woods! Now talk about scary!! 🙂
Staying as far away from winter-themed anything as I can (for now), today I’m sharing some of my favorite colors of fall in my challenge make for A Vintage Journey-The Colours of Autumn; Sisterhood of Snarky Stampers-‘D’ is for Distressing and Artistic Outpost-Show us your AO Art.
This looks like it was difficult to bring together, but with plentiful inspirations of fall colors, Tim Holtz, distressing and awesome rubber stamp art, I let the muse take me where it would!
I started by stamping this sunflower image onto manila stock with all kinds of Distress Paints. I used Mustard Seed, Ripe Persimmon and Scattered Straw. I set those aside to let air dry so that I can move on to more Distress Paint fun!
One of Tim’s biggest influences on me is his use of layering colors and to not be afraid to let those colors blend and mix and mingle! I used Tim’s paint marbling technique with Mustard Seed, Crushed Olive and Ripe Persimmon DPs….
…for my Autumnal toned background. I love what these three colors of DP created. If this were a Rorschach test, I’d say that I see an Autumn Leaf!!
OH–remember those sunflower parts? I also used Gathered Twigs & Antiqued Bronze DPs for some of my sunflower centers and Mowed Lawn DP for some of my sunflower leaves. All of my sunflower parts then got a random brushing of Clear Rock Candy DCP and set aside to air dry.
Oh Boy!! Now on to making this nice, bright background, into something aged and vintagey. I’m layering my marbled background with Vintage Photo & Walnut Stain DIs over the entire surface with my ink blending tools and I’ll be distressing the edges with my paper distresser.
I’m using images from The Outpost & Ephemera Background plates from Artistic Outpost and I plan on framing my stamped image with some of Tim’s Remnant Rub-Ons.
Another one of Tim’s techniques that I enjoy is random stamping with an unmounted stamp. In The Outpost plate, there’s a little script image stamp that I used to fill in some of that empty space.
I had to get a close up–can you see the faint script? I used Tea Dye DI with the script stamp and lightly pressed here and there. The technique is a great background builder!
I need more layers!! I used the postcard text stamp from AO’s Ephemera Background plate and randomly stamped the text around, then I pulled out two of Tim’s Layering Stencils-Schoolhouse & Burlap and laid some stenciling down with Walnut Stain DI.
After I finished stenciling, I lightly sprayed the surface of my panel with water and let the stencil designs wick a bit before I set with my heat tool.
I remembered to bring my camera with me to my sewing machine!! Here I am, adding a few stitches to the perimeter of my stamped windmill image-I want it to look like it’s a patch, badly sewn into place!
Even with my bad stitching, it looks pretty good 🙂
OH BOY–another fun part! Here are all of the sunflower parts after the Clear Rock Candy DCP dried. You can’t see the cracks too well here….
But look at them now!!
I inked Walnut Stain over all of the sunflowers and the centers and the leaves to bring those crackles to life!
I adhered all of my sunflower pieces together with multi-medium and layered/glued them in place on my background panel then pressed between a couple of magazines until they were dry.
The quote is from The Outpost plate that I stamped with Jet Black Archival ink onto manila stock then mounted onto black strips of cardstock. I outlined the word bands with white pencil.
Part of the Tim Holtz mystique is about embracing imperfection, too. Well, imperfection happened when I was applying the rub-ons, and the stick slipped and rubbed off the ‘e’ from the word ‘shine’. I will embrace the imperfections!! FULLY!!
I finished with a little spritz of Biscotti Perfect Pearls Mists over the stamped image and then adhered the panel to my card base. You may see a little bit of tissue tape peeking out–I lined my card base with TH/Idea-ology tissue tape because I knew I was going to be distressing the heck out of my edges and the tape adds another little bit of layering to the card.
So, come on over to A Vintage Journey (challenge ends Oct 2 UK time), Sisterhood of Snarky Stampers (challenge ends Oct 3) and Artistic Outpost (challenge ends tonight) and check out all of the wonderful Design Team pieces and participant submissions–They could all use a little love!!
Thanks for coming by today! Your visits and comments are so supportive and wonderful–Thank You!! I can’t say it enough!!
Until next time–Stay Artsy Fartsy!! 🙂
SUPPLIES I USED:
- Stamps: The Outpost & Ephemera Background (Artistic Outpost); Sunflower (SU-circa 1996!!! OMG!!)
- Surfaces: Manila Stock; Black Card Stock (Core’dinations); Kraft Card Stock (Papertrey Ink)
- Distress Paints & Inks (Tim Holtz/Ranger); Archival Ink (Ranger); White Pencil; Perfect Pearls Mist (Ranger)
- Remnant Rubs & Tissue Tape (Tim Holtz/Idea-ology); Scallop Edge Circle Punch (EK Success)
- Multi-Medium (Claudine Hellmuth/Ranger); Double-Back Tape (3M); Sewing Machine (Kenmore)