Happy Weekend and Thank You for joining me for my 1st Guest Designer gig!
I’m more than EXCITED to be a part of the Sisterhood of Snarky Stampers for “our” latest challenge that kicks off today–
This will be a bittersweet Mother’s Day for me. I recently lost my Mom earlier this year, after she succumbed to ovarian cancer. This will be the first year of my existence without my Mom, for Mother’s Day. Bittersweet, indeed.
But, the best way I can think of, to deal with this, is by doing something for my Mom, anyway, and make a Mother’s Day card in her honor–I think she’d like that 🙂
And being a Guest of the Sisterhood’s Design Team is the best medicine!! Thank You Sisters, for inviting me to be a part of your Design Team for this fortnight challenge!!
I didn’t have a plan for this card–I didn’t even start with a gathering of supplies! I just went for it!! This is a manila panel that I treated with Tim Holtz’s ‘paint marbling’ technique. I used Antiqued Bronze, Scattered Straw, Broken China & Gathered Twigs DP’s to achieve this first layer of color.
I inked over the entire painted surface with distress inks in Broken China, Mustard Seed & Walnut Stain and my ink blending tools…
…distressed and inked the edges and of course, gave it a good spritz & flick of water…..
…and dried with my heat tool. Love this background!!
I did a little embossing with Distress Ink and a stencil, using My Favorite Things Sun-Ray stencil and clear embossing powder. I love how the distress paint marbling comes through the clear embossing.
Using the Sun-Ray stencil as a mask, I taped it in place, covering the raised embossed areas, then used an unmounted clear stamp from Papertrey Ink, Background Basics, to stamp the text through the stencil with Black Soot DI.
I like the imperfect text that pops up through the rays.
So, as I mentioned, I just kind of went for it with this card 😉
Here’s a stack of Tattered Florals that I die cut out of muslin. I used a few stamps from the Farm Girl plate and Sepia, Black & Cobalt Archival Inks to stamp text and backgrounds onto the flowers. Then I dabbed gesso here and there onto each flower and set with my heat tool.
They look pretty good like this….
…but even better with an inking of Vintage Photo, Tea Dye & Walnut Stain Di’s!
I gave the florals a spritz and flick of water….
…and dried with my heat tool. LOVE LOVE LOVE the water spots!! Really love the rustic effects on these florals!!
This is a large brass brad that I’ve had in my
hoard stash forever! I applied a portion of Elements Remnant Rub-Ons and adhered to the center of my embossed sun with foam adhesive scraps.
This is another experiment with Tim Holtz’s paint marbling technique. I wanted to have a cool background to stamp or print text onto, so I made this up real quick with Scattered Straw & Crushed Olive DP’s.
Each word/letters were stamped onto the painted panel and cut to size. I inked the edges with Walnut Stain DI and adhered into position with matte multi-medium. I outlined the word bands with Picket Fence & Walnut Stain DM’s and lightly smudged with a damp Q-tip.
This little sunflower is a part of an earring that lost its mate years ago!! When that happens to any of my beaded jewelry, I salvage whatever I can and put in my
hoard stash! 😉
Anyway–I applied Butterscotch alcohol ink directly to the charm and let air dry. Once dry, I snipped off the eye and jump ring and gave the sunflower one more coating of alcohol ink.
The little girl is from OE’s Farm Girl plate. I stamped her onto a piece of manila stock with Jet Black Archival Ink and ‘painted’ her with my Distress Markers and water brush. Her shoes are Tea Dye, her over-all’s are Faded Jeans, her top is Victorian Velvet, her complexion Tattered Rose and her hair is a lovely shade of Wild Honey! I fussy cut her out and inked the edges with Walnut Stain DI.
When I put everything together, I wasn’t happy with how plain the tattered flower was. I fixed that by masking everything off, except the flower, and splattered it with Gathered Twigs DP and my splatter brush. OK–I feel better now…I splattered something 😉
I adhered a metal filigree piece behind farm girl, as if she’s standing in front of a fancy gate.
This would be the card I’d send to my Mom this year. I think she’d get a kick out of it and really like all of the techniques and elements I used. She was a scrap booker and card maker, too and we loved talking to each other about new things and projects we were working on. Good Memories, indeed. 🙂
This has been a Fantastic way to think of my Mom while I made this Mother’s Day card for the Sisterhood of Snarky Stampers. Great therapy and made with love and hope of inspiring others.
Join me over at the Sisterhood and visit the Design Team Members who are sharing their Mother’s Day creations. These ladies are a fantastically talented group and bring their own flair to each and every challenge. Inspiration to be had by all!!
Until next time-Stay Artsy Fartsy–XOXO-Shari
SUPPLIES I USED:
Brown Card Stock (card base); Manila Stock; Muslin
- Distress Paints, Inks & Markers (Tim Holtz/Ranger); Archival Inks (Ranger)
- Stamps: Country Girl (Oxford Impressions); “Happy” from Wonderful Words-Birthday (Papertrey Ink); Alphabet Stamps (mfg unk)
- Tattered Floral Die (Tim Holtz/Sizzix); Big Shot Machine (Sizzix); Remnant Rub-Ons (Tim Holtz/Idea-ology)
- Matte Multi-Medium (Claudine Hellmuth/Ranger); Double-Back Tape (3M); Foam Adhesive
- Paper Distresser (Tim Holtz/Tonic Studios); Craft Sheet (Ranger); Splatter Brush (Liquitex)
- Q-Tips; Heat Tool; Embossing Heat Tool; Finger Knife (Fiskars)